Wednesday, March 30, 2011

where dreams come true

I've known Bruce roughly 5 years and as long as I can remember he has been dreaming and talking and salivating over these immortalized pumpkin pancakes on Sunset Blvd, CA.
So you better believe it was a pretty big deal when we actually revisited the cafe! Just looking at the menu was a treat in and of itself...
take a look, seriously, how do you choose between these dishes?!!!
The Griddle Cafe
We narrowed it down to: Yellow Brick Road
Tis the Season, Mounds of Pleasure, A Time to Love, Scotch on the Rocks......

o.k., it was super hard to narrow it down! We ordered the "mounds of pleasure" and "kicking and screaming breakfast tacos." The other orders:
Stef : "addicted to noisella french toast"
Amelia: red velvet panCake

Marva: poached y papas Benedict
GJ: some giant breakfast burrito

and the delivered masterpieces? decadent beyond belief.
-The benedict was possibly one of the best I've ever tasted. ever. Genius to use potato skins in place of english muffins!
-The french toast was nutella-rific. I almost forgot it was actually french toast and not just nutella smoothering some bread form.
-Red velvet pancake- cake for breakfast. literally. with the cream cheese icing to prove it. delish!

-Breakfast tacos- no "kicking and screaming" about them, but nothing to complain about.
-Mounds of pleasure= mounds of coconut+chocolate in cake form, baked in pancake shape. rich and gooey, melt-in-your mouth. giving the candy bar the true breakfast challenge.
So the question: with all the richness was it too much? after like 5 bites, probably. But did we make a decent effort in clearing them? yep.
I'd say an hour later we were all still feeling the sugar overload.
But two hours later I could've had just one more bite and secretly wished we'd boxed the remains. :)
But for Bruce! Years and years of dreaming about this place, talking it up so much and making it a must while in California?
sadly, failed to fulfill.

He wished he'd just relive the pedestal memory- the pumpkin pie pancakes and cobb omelet.
sorry Bruce.




And my dreams came true staying at Amelia's in-laws house! a pool and hot tub, lemon, orange, grapefruit and avocado trees. And still 30 minutes from the beach (I think, I seemed to fall asleep every time I got in the car, sorry bruce!) I'm convinced I could become a resident of the lovely Glendora. Thank you Stowells!!


5 comments:

Cara said...

Oh man, my dreams could come true there too. That seriously looks AMAZING! Glad you got to go someplace sunny instead of this freezing tundra of Utah!

amelia said...

That was one of the first things Bruce asked me when he found out I was from California - "Have you ever been to Griddles?" Ha, love that pic of us with our massive pancakes. When we left, I thought "Never again Griddles, what have you done to me"...and now I'm totally dreaming about it too.

Missy said...

Wow. That sounds amazing. It's probably for the best that I never ever go there, for my waistline's sake.

eric + ashlee said...

Any trip to CA would be fun, but when you add over the top good food, that makes it even better. Yum!

Alyse said...

I totally looked at this a month ago- but forgot to comment about how hungry that post made me...and frankly, how hungry it still makes me!! Claire looks SO big! I love her hair! We miss you guys!