Tuesday, June 24, 2008

school uniforms

All the kids in Thailand wear uniforms to school and they somehow make these little cuties look even more adorable. What was really fun was going back to the school and to different schools on different days and seeing all the different uniforms!




These little pink tykes were sitting three on two chairs pushed together and for some reason it just made me happy, I couldn't stop laughing!
I wonder if the little boys will one day look back and hate that they had pink uniforms.

Asia doesn't mess around when it comes to education- I'm pretty sure they start sending them to school right after they start walking. The smallest kids had nice front pockets in their uniforms perfect for holding their bottles! No joke- we really saw a little girl with a bottle of milk in her pocket!

Boy Scouts of....Thailand?
and proving that the peace sign is still immortal.


Now this little action of the index finger and thumb was new to me. Apparently it means "handsome" so it was a toss-up between that and the peace sign as you can see the dilemma.
These kids were anything but camera shy!






These are some of the Moken kids. They were 'sea gypsies' before the tsunami but were forced to become land dwelling after the tsunami destroyed all their boats and left them with nothing. We brought them flip-flops and hygiene kits. It was like Christmas morning for them getting the kits and flip-flops! (wait, Buddhists don't celebrate Christmas.) It was so fun helping them find shoes for themselves and their kids, and then seeing the new colorful shoes on their dirty little feet!







Instead of seeing cows on the side of the road it was elephants! They are the coolest animals- I could watch them for hours! and they could eat for hours!

6 comments:

Mugsy said...

Melinda, I have never met you. I knew some of the Dickson clan growing up. I have to come lurking every now and again. Can I just say, you seem like such an amazing person! You are not only beautiful on the outside, that is evident. Hopefully some day I can meet you. These were amzing posts. Megan

Missy said...

These pictures are so cool! It looks like you had a great time.

Kristina said...

What a neat neat thing you did. I'm sure it's something you'll never forget. Those picture just brought tears to my eyes, just to see the joy on their faces to get something that to us is so simple (ff) what a great thing you did. I've only met you once,but what a great person you are... I bet they followed you everywhere looking at your blonde hair... You ROCK!

Katie said...

Wow Melinda, that is so great that you went to Thailand. I totally forget about the blogosphere until I do my monthly post, then remember I have friends that have blogs. Did your hubby go too? Was it the program presented at the U? What a fun trip. You should think about Ecuador for the next one, lol.

lizdye said...

So cute, and I am so jealous. I love you and miss your guts.

Melinda said...

Thank you for the kind words Megan and Kristina!