I just returned home from Thailand last week and I must say it's great to be home! It was an awesome two weeks packed full of tons of different projects. The people were so amazing- they've been through so much since the tsunami and they're still so happy and content. Many great lessons to be learned from their humble examples! I loved it! And so I took a million pics. Here's a few for now...and more to come later while I sift through them.
We spent most of our time at Home & Life orphanage. The kids here either lost their parents in the tsunami or their families are too poor to support them. We built a storage house, painted murals on their dorm houses, tiled one of the floors in their main building and taught vocational skills.
These are all the kids at the orphanage. The people who run it are so perfect for the job- they've created a great atmosphere and want to keep it small so they have a family feeling. The kids are all so happy too- it really wasn't a sad place at all.Okay, construction Thailand-style means mixing cement from powder, carrying bricks/cinder blocks one-by-one and digging holes only with shovels, all done in the heat and humidity. This also means that we were constantly wet with sweat.
Below we were teaching them sewing on the freshly tiled floor and here's a pic of the mural. The kids loved helping us paint and it was neat that they became a part of it too. (Until they got a little carried away and started painting crazy aliens on the wall. We edited them out a bit so they wouldn't regret it when they're older and realize how freakish they looked- I should've gotten a picture of them though, they were pretty funny!)
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Thailand: Part I
Posted by Melinda at 2:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
SOOO glad you got to do a trip like this. I can't believe how much work you guys got done! All the stuff you did looks cool!
Melinda, you're right, those kids are gorgeous, and of course you look like a supermodel in the midst of all that sweaty work and extreme humidity...
What an awesome experience. I'm glad you got to go & still need to hear more stories about it so I can live vicariously through you.
How awesome! It looks like you had a great time! I am eager for more stories and pictures!
Hi Melinda, it's Jinaya. That's awesome you were able to go to Thailand. That would be an amazing experience. Email me sometime- jinaya.g@aggiemail.usu.edu
No one told me I was gonna need a leash for this girl. Down Melinda!
hey you stinker Bruce!
I read that!
could anyone look more beautiful after such a hard day's work- holy cow! I only look partly that good after an hour of hard work showering and applying hard core makeup- no fair!
Importantly though, the trips looks so rewarding and life changing! I am so jealous! you're going to make such an awesome mother!
Post a Comment